CAE: Arkansas Society of Printmakers Exhibition
The Center for Art and Education (CAE) is pleased to present an exhibition of one of the oldest art forms — printmaking. On exhibition is the unique art form of prints and the artists who created them. Represented in this exhibition are intaglio, lithography, serigraphs prints and more. These techniques are age-old, but the results are new and fresh. These artists are masters of the various techniques of printmaking: Daniel Adams, Ernest Cialone, Kristen DeGeorge, Addison Graham, Katie Harper, Neal Harrington, Tammy Harrington and Colin McLain. A wide variety of media, styles and subject matter can be viewed in this exhibition, which is on display through Oct. 23 at the Center for Art and Education, 104 N. 13th St., Van Buren.
CAE is working to bring a variety of new art experiences to the community. This fall, its 500 Club members are going into the studio with artists, for a private tour and an artist demonstration. On Friday, we will visit Don Lee's home to view his work and art collection. A discussion of his work and collection will address significant moments concerning his career as a practicing artist, art professor and art administrator. On Nov 12, we will watch Stephen Holmes demonstrate how his carving process can turn a raw piece of wood into a beautiful new vessel. The finished vessel will go home with the lucky participate whose name is drawn at the end of the demonstration. During the tours, a box meal and light refreshments will be provided. These special tours are a rare opportunity to uncover firsthand the creative drive and passion that fuels the artist.
CAE is currently taking registrations for its 2021 workshops. The workshops range in medium from collage to fabric art and felting to pottery and sculpture. These classes are designed for anyone who is looking to try their hand at an art form for the first time, or push their creativity to the next level. We invite you to find your inspiration. Visit art-ed.org for a list of workshops and class details.
This column is produced by the River Valley Arts Coalition, whose mission is toinform citizens and visitors of the available fine art exhibition and educationopportunities in Fort Smith and surrounding region. We also want to tell thestories of the people who make the local art scene such a vibrant and importantpart of our community. To send comments or for more information on the RiverValley Arts Coalition contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fort Smith Regional Art Museum
1601 Rogers Ave., Fort Smith
• “Billie Holiday at Sugar Hill: Photographs by Jerry Dantzic”: On view through Dec. 27; this exhibit is organized by Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibits and made possible through a grant from the Anna Cohn Community Fund.
• “Behind the Scenes: Billie Holiday Performing at Sugar Hill, Photographs by Jerry Dantzic”: Free lecture by the photographer’s son, Grayson Dantzic; Oct. 22 at 7 p.m., registration required.
• “Attention to Tension: Suzannah Schreckhise”: On view Oct. 16 through Jan. 31.
• RAM Annual Invitational “Exploring Mindscapes: An Artist’s Reflection”: Submissions due Nov. 14, visit website for details.
• RAM Saturday: Available on RAM’s YouTube Channel, registration required.
• RAM Homeschool: Registration required. “Music as an Art Prompt” for ages 6-11; “Studio Art” for ages 12-18.
• “Curator Corner”: Monthly curatorial interview by assistant curator Samantha Rhodes about a different piece in RAM’s permanent collection.
• “COLOR for Creatives”: Zoom class, every Thursday at 6 p.m. through May 18 , registration required.
• Lecture Live Thursdays: Online lectures every other Thursday at 7 p.m., registration required.
• Visit RAM’s website to see video tours and listen to podcast interviews by various artists.
Windgate Art & Design at UAFS
5210 Kinkead Ave., Fort Smith
• Temporarily closed.
Center for Art & Education
104 North 13th Street, Van Buren
Gallery admission is always free.
• Don Lee’s Home Visit: Friday, Oct. 16.
• “Society of Printmakers Exhibition”: On view through Oct. 23.
• “Lions Club International PEACE Poster Contest“: Students age 11-13 in Van Buren School District and home school; artwork will be accepted through Oct 15; visit CAE website for details.
• Homeschool Art Classes: Mondays through Nov. 9, 1-3:30 p.m.; registration required.
• After School Art Classes: Mondays through Nov. 9, 4-5:30 p.m.; registration required.
• 12 Art Activities and Lessons to Try at Home: Free, visit CAE website for details.
• Stephen Holmes Carving Demonstration: Thursday, Nov. 12.
• Visit CAE’s website to see virtual tours, artist demonstrations, community events and projects created in the “At Home Summer Art Camp” album.