CAE: Duane Hada
Center for Art and Education (CAE) is exploring new art experiences to bring to our creative community. Anyone needing a creativity to pass the time, would like to try their hand at a new art form for the first time, or needing a challenge to push their creativity to the next level, will find inspiration in our upcoming workshops and artist demonstrations.
CAE’s 500 Club art adventurers just got back from Siloam Springs, where we had a private in-home exhibition, a tour of John P. Lasater's gallery and experienced an artist demonstration. Next, we headed to Mountain Home to Duane Hada's Rivertown Gallery for plein air painting and enjoy some authentic Belizean cuisine. The area is located on the White River, which is known for some of the best trout fishing in the world. Hada is internationally known for his guided trout tours and watercolor paintings. Anyone interested in joining our exclusive art adventure club can call CAE for membership information.
Artists are welcome to bring their easel, a chair and art supplies and join us Saturday, Sept. 12 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for Plein Air Painting on Main Street in historic downtown Van Buren. Artist John P. Lasater IV, considered by many to be one of the best in-genre in American outdoor painting, will be doing a live plein air painting demonstration. Afterward, artists will be be able to take their easels onto the sidewalk and pick a scene to paint. Lasater will provide one-on-one critique, sharing his award winning techniques to help guide participants with creating their plein air masterpiece. Registration is required by Sept. 2.
We’re offering a hands-on raku style pottery workshop with Arkansas’ living treasure, Winston Taylor. This is a two-day workshop that will be offered Sept. 26 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Oct. 3 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. In session one, participants will be throwing, spinning and molding their artwork. In the second session, participants will experiment with glazing and watching the on-site firing.
Art tool kits are still available to pick up and create with our online At Home Summer Art Camp through the end of August. The art kits provide supplies to complete five instructor-led lessons plus enough tools to continue creating into the fall. The At Home Summer Art Camp lessons will provide basic techniques in sketching, painting, clay and collage. These basic skills will prepare students for the homeschool and after-school art classes that will be offered starting in October.
To find out more information about all of CAE’s programs and upcoming events, go to our website art-ed.org or call (479) 474-7767 to register.
This column is produced by the River Valley Arts Coalition, whose mission is to inform citizens and visitors of the available fine art exhibition and education opportunities in Fort Smith and surrounding region. We also want to tell the stories of the people who make the local art scene such a vibrant and important part of our community. To send comments or for more information on the River Valley Arts Coalition contact email@example.com.
Art This Week
Fort Smith Regional Art Museum
1601 Rogers Ave., Fort Smith
• “A Family Affair: Three Artists, Three Visions, One Family”: On view through Oct. 11; featuring works by Dede Hutcheson and her daughters, Karen Hutcheson and Robyn Horn; visit website for a video tour.
• “Tim Ernst: Arkansas Wilderness”: On view through Aug. 30.
• “10 Votes for Women: A Portrait of Persistence”: On view beginning Aug. 10; a digital, online exhibit organized by the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service in collaboration with the National Portrait Gallery; this project received support from the Smithsonian American Women’s History Initiative.
• “Billie Holiday at Sugar Hill: Photographs by Jerry Dantzic”: On view Sept. 4 to Dec. 27; this exhibit is organized by Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibits and made possible through a grant from the Anna Cohn Community Fund.
• Call for Works! RAM Annual Invitational “Exploring Mindscapes: An Artist’s Reflection”: Submissions due Nov. 14, visit website for details.
• Youth Programs: Toddler Tuesday and RAM Saturday projects posted to RAM’s YouTube Channel, registration required.
• “RAM Homeschool“: Begins Sept. 14, registration required.
• Adult Programs: “Draw Your Day: Sketch.” One-hour live Zoom class weekly by B. Duncan. Register at fsram.org/education.
• Yoga with RAM: Weekly video posted Sundays.
• “Curator Corner”: Monthly curatorial interview by assistant curator Samantha Rhodes about a different piece in RAM’s permanent collection.
• Lecture Live Thursdays: Monthly online lectures, registration required.
• Visit RAM’s website to see video tours and listen to podcast interviews by various artists.
Windgate Art & Design at UAFS
5210 Kinkead Ave., Fort Smith
• Temporarily closed.
Center for Art & Education
104 North 13th Street, Van Buren
• Dennis McCann, main gallery.
• Hannah Jeremiah, studio gallery.
• Basics of Oil Painting with Stephanie D. Lee, six-session, studio art class, Aug. 13 to Sept. 17, registration required.
• Raku Pottery Workshop with Winston Taylor, two-session, studio workshop, Sept. 26 and Oct. 3, registration required.
• “Carpool Art Adventure to Duane Hada’s Rivertown Gallery”: Aug. 29, registration required.
• Call for Entries! 41st Annual “Adult Art Competition”: Sept. 13-25; call for entries; visit CAE website for entry fee, rules, entry form and delivery date information.
• “Lions Club International PEACE Poster Contest“: Artwork will be accepted Oct. 1-15; visit CAE website for contest rules.
• Visit CAE’s website to see virtual tours, artist demonstrations, community events and projects created in the “At Home Summer Art Camp” album.