LITTLE ROCK — The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission on Thursday set hunting dates and rules for most game species.
Migratory bird seasons will be set in July and August.
Modern gun deer season will open Saturday, Nov. 9. Length of the season will depend on the hunting zone.
Season bag limit will again be six deer, of which no more than two can be bucks. Most zones have limits of fewer than six, but hunters can take deer in more than one zone up to that statewide limit of six. Wildlife management areas and national wildlife refuges are each individual zones.
Other deer hunting dates will be Sept. 28 through Feb. 28 for archery; Oct. 19-27 for muzzle-loaders over most of the state; Dec. 29-31 for several zones; Oct. 12-16 for the antlerless hunt on private land in many zones; Nov. 2-3 and Jan. 4-5 for statewide youth hunts; and Dec. 26-28 for the Christmas Holiday Modern Gun Hunt statewide.
• Turkey season in the spring of 2014 will open on April 19. It will end April 27 for a few turkey zones and May 4 for much of the state.
• Quail season will be Nov. 1-Feb. 2 statewide.
• Rabbit season will be Sept. 1-Feb. 28 statewide.
• Furbearer season will be Sept. 1-Feb. 28 for fox, mink, bobcat and skunk; July 1-Feb. 28 for coyotes; July 1–March 31 for raccoon; and Sept. 1-March 31 for beaver, muskrat and nutria.
• Squirrel season will be May 15-Feb. 28 statewide.
• Crow season will be Sept. 1-Feb. 21 statewide.
• Bear season will be Oct. 1-Nov. 30 for archery; Oct. 19-27 for muzzle-loaders; Nov. 4-30 for modern gun in Bear Zones 1 and 2; Nov. 30-Dec. 8 for Bear Zone 5; and Nov. 23-Dec. 8 for Bear Zone 5A. A youth bear hunt will be Nov. 2-3 in Bear Zones 1 and 2.
• Elk season will be Oct. 7-11 and Oct. 28-Nov. 3.
• Alligator season will be Sept. 20-23 and Sept. 27-30.