RUSSELLVILLE – The Great American Conference announced the league’s Players of the Week for the first week of the 2015 volleyball season. Oklahoma Baptist’s Caydn Laing earned the Offensive accolade; Arkansas Tech’s Madison Nagel received the Defensive award and Southwestern Oklahoma State’s garnered the Setter honor.
GAC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Caydn Laing, Oklahoma Baptist, MH, Jr., Wichita Falls, Texas
Laing earned the first GAC weekly award for the Bison as she helped post a 3-1 record at the Nova Southeastern Shark Invitational. She opened by hitting .529 in a sweep of Virginia State. Against Eckerd, she hit .444 with only one error. For the week, she hit .435 and averaged 3.0 kills per set.
GAC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Madison Nagel, Arkansas Tech, L, So., Rowlett,, Texas
Nagel, the 2014 GAC Freshman and Defensive Player of the Year, began her sophomore campaign by collecting 77 digs and averaging 5.92 per set at the Texas Woman’s Tournament. Against Texas A&M International and Texas Woman’s, she registered at least 20 digs and averaged at least 6.0 per set.
GAC SETTER OF THE WEEK – Kayla Hebert, Southwestern Oklahoma State, Jr., McKinney, Texas
Hebert recorded double-doubles in three of her first four matches as a Bulldog. She averaged 9.71 assists per set while also totaling 14 kills, 38 digs and 11 service aces. She collected six aces against Franklin Pierce, the second-most in a match in school history. Additionally, she collected 14 kills and committed only one hitting error.
• Emilie Aase, Sr., MH, Southern Arkansas (Hit .403 at UAH Classic; hit at least .435 in three of four matches)
• Carolina Gasparini, Jr., OH, Arkansas-Monticello (Averaged 3.07 kills per set and totaled 12 service aces)
• Madyson Gill, So., OH, East Central (Named to NSU Invitational All-Tournament Team; led ECU in kills and blocks)
• Molly Howard, Sr., OH, Harding (Totaled 68 kills and three double-doubles in Bisons’ opening four matches)
• Abby Jameson, Fr., OPP, Southeastern Oklahoma State (Recorded two double-doubles; averaged 4.00 kills/set)
• Stephanie Pollnow, Jr., M, Ouachita (Helped Tigers start 3-1; hit .381 at the UAH Volleyball Classic)
• McKenna Qualls, Jr., OH, Southern Nazarene (Collected 48 kills, 50 digs and 10 aces at the Hilltopper Classic)
• Nora To’omalatai, Jr., OH, Northwestern Oklahoma State (Averaged 4.31 kills per set; totaled 21 vs Fort Lewis)
• Carly Zak, Jr., OH, Southwestern Oklahoma State (Totaled 51 kills and averaged 3.64 per set)
• Abbey Bell, Jr., L, Southern Nazarene (Averaged 4.79 digs per set including 5.75 against Franklin Pierce)
• Kaila Lancaster, Sr., L, Southwestern Oklahoma State (Totaled 79 digs [5.64/set] during the opening the weekend)
• Kaitlyn Lucy, Sr., DS Oklahoma Baptist (Named to the All-Nova Southeastern Invitational Team; tallied 68 digs)
• Hannah Rice, Jr., DS, Southern Arkansas (Registered 46 digs for an average of 3.29 digs per set)
• Ashley Wake, Jr., DS, Ouachita Baptist (Averaged at least 4.00 digs per set in all four contests – three wins)
• Elyse Berlin, So., Southern Nazarene (Recorded a career-high 44 assists twice and recorded three double-doubles)
• Abigail Glosup, Jr., Harding (Dished out 172 assists in four matches; captured a pair of double-doubles)
• Alyssa Kool, So., Arkansas Tech (Averaged 6.69 assists per set as part of two setter system)
• Stormi Leonard, Fr., Ouachita Baptist (Helped Tigers start 3-1 by averaging 10.91 assists per set at the UAH Classic)
• Kynnedy Myers , Fr., Oklahoma Baptist (Averaged 9.47 assists per set as OKBU went 3-1 at the NSU Invitational)
• Taylor Reaume, Sr., Southern Arkansas (Collected 9.67 assists per set and added 19 digs in four contests)
• Taylor Turner, So., East Central (Amassed 94 assists in ECU’s season-opening tournament)