JACKSON, Miss. — The Hendrix College football team lost their second road Southern Athletic Association game of the year 48-37 to Millsaps College at Harper-Davis Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The host Majors (4-0, 1-0) scored on the opening drive of the game on a 11-yard pass from Zak Thrasher to Charlie Strauss to go up 7-0 quickly. On the fifth play of the Warriors’ (2-2, 0-2) first drive, freshman tailback Dayton Winn fumble and Millsaps recovered. Hendrix held Millsaps to a three-and-out to regain possession.

The Warriors ran off 12 plays on the next drive, but had to settle for a 39-yard Steve Crenshaw field goal to make the game 7-3 with 3:35 left in the opening quarter. After Thrasher’s pass to Zander Romano came up short on fourth and four early in the second quarter, Hendrix freshman quarterback Seth Peters connected with Winn for a 64-yard touchdown on the first play of the series, giving the Warriors a 10-7 advantage.

Redshirt freshman safety Caleb Shannon intercepted Thrasher and returned it 29 yards to the Millsaps one. After two rushes for a loss, Peters hit freshman receiver Travis McMahon to go up 17-7 at the 6:03 mark of the second quarter.

Running back Mike Barthelemy was responsible for all 67 yards of the Majors’ next drive, including a 28-yard rush and a two-yard touchdown. Beau Brady missed the extra point, to make the game 17-13. Millsaps scored again on their final possession of the half - a two-yard pass from Thraser to Trevor King to go up 20-17.

The Orange & Black took the first drive of the second half 60 yards, capped by a 20-yard pass to McMahon to regain a 24-20 lead. Millsaps took back the lead for good on a 95-yard kick return by John McDowell. Thrasher connected with King for a 22-yard score to give the Majors a 34-24 lead with 3:52 left in the third quarter.

Taz Watson took in a one yard run with 9:00 left in the game to put Millsaps up 41-24. The Warriors answered with 38-yard touchdown pass from Peters to junior Casey Caton, cutting the deficit to 10 with 6:47 to play. The Majors responded on their next possession with a Watson 26-yard run for a touchdown to go up 48-31 and just 2:22 remaining to play. Peters connected with freshman Spencer Smith for a 36-yard touchdown with 1:15 left on the clock for the final score of the game.

For the game, Millsaps ran 66 plays for 445 yards, while Hendrix had 65 play for 407 yards.

Peters went 25-of-37 for 310 yards, an interception, and a season-high five passing touchdowns. Winn had six catches for 85 yards and a score and rushed nine times for 59 yards. Along with 75 yards on returns, Winn racked up 219 all-purpose yards. McMahon caught six passes for 65 yards and two scores and had three kick returns for 105 yards. Caton caught five passes for 72 yards and a TD.

Thrasher went 13-for-22 for 177 yards, one interception and three touchdowns. Watson rushed 20 times for 143 yards and two scores and Barthelemy had 119 yards and a TD.

On defense, freshman defensive tackle Brett Asher had a season-best 11 tackles with two sacks. Redshirt freshman safety Reid Cone had seven tackles and Shannon, Stephen Stearmna and Gray Stanton added five each. Freshman linebacker Ben Cunningham recorded two tackles for loss.

Alex Stewart led the Millsaps defense with nine tackles and Zach Bell had eight tackles, two sacks and three tackles for a loss.

Hendrix will return home next Saturday for a non-conference battle with Washington University at Young-Wise Memorial Stadium.