RUSSELLVILLE – The Great American Conference announced the league’s Players of the Week for the first week of the football season. Northwestern Oklahoma State’s Reid Miller claimed the Offensive award; Arkansas Tech’s Nick Akins earned the Defensive honor and Cory Bassett received the Special Teams accolade.
GAC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Reid Miller, Northwestern Oklahoma State, QB, Jr., Pampa, Texas
Miller completed 33-of-45 passes for 379 yards as Northwestern Oklahoma State defeated Arkansas-Monticello, 52-31. The Rangers eclipsed the 50-point mark for the first time since 2013. The offense also racked up more yards on Thursday than they had in two years.
GAC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Nick Akins, Arkansas Tech, LB, So., Mesquite, Texas
Akins scored a defensive touchdown on the opening play of Tech’s season-opening win against Southern Nazarene. The Wonder Boys lined up with 10 defensive players to honor Zemaric Holt, who died during the offseason. Akins finished with five tackles, including 2.0 tackles for loss and a sack.
GAC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Corey Bassett, Harding, CB/PR, Jr., Plano, Texas
Bassett provided support in two facets of the kicking game as the Bisons escaped against Oklahoma Baptist, 20-19 in overtime. He returned a punt 24 yards to set up their second touchdown of the game. At the end of regulation, he blocked the Bison’s potential game-winning field goal attempt.
• Bryan Allen, Fr., RB, Arkansas Tech (Gained 138 yards on 14 rushes, scored once and amassed 163 all-purpose yards)
• Andrew Dather, So., WR, Harding (Had receptions of 63 yards, 21 yards and 24 yards for his first career 100-yard game)
• David Moore, Jr., WR, East Central (Caught four passes for 100 yards and two touchdowns; added 56 return yards)
• Kris Oliver, Fr., RB, Ouachita Baptist (Ran for 100 yards and scored three touchdowns against East Central)
• Dez Stegall, So., QB, Oklahoma Baptist (Came off the bench to throw for one touchdown and run for another as vs Harding)
• Jonathan Weisheit, So., WR, Southern Arkansas (Scored go-ahead TD on a 75-yard catch; gained 203 all-purpose yards)
• Zack Bishop, So., LB, Oklahoma Baptist (Registered 11 tackles and blocked a field goal against Harding)
• Vernon Johnson, Jr., DB, East Central (Recorded 12 tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss against Ouachita)
• Davondrick Lison, Fr., DE, Southern Arkansas (Lison assisted on two sacks late in the game to preserve a 28-24 win)
• Daylan Skidmore, Jr., LB, Harding (Skidmore led the Bisons with 10 tackles, his sixth-career 10-tackle game)
• Tanner Thompson, Sr., LB, Southwestern Oklahoma State (Collected a team-high 13 tackles and blocked a punt for a safety)
• Raheem Wilson, Jr., CB, Southeastern Oklahoma State (Intercepted a pass, made seven tackles and blocked a PAT)
• Cole Antley, Fr., K, Ouachita Baptist (Converted all four PATs and made a 46-yard field goal in 31-24 win vs East Central)
• Tanner Hudson, So., P, Southern Arkansas (Averaged 43.7 yards on six punts with a long of 58 yards and two inside the 20)
• Eric Perez, So., K, Arkansas Tech (Went 2-for-2 on field goals with a long of 32; successfully made all eight extra point tries)