Van Buren picks up a win and a loss in tennis matches against 7A West opponents.
Van Buren split their last two tennis outings sweeping Springdale before falling to Har-Ber at home.
The Pointer squads traveled to Springdale back on Sept. 1 and had to battle another round of rain before they could get the matches underway.
Van Buren traveled to Fayetteville on Thursday for another 7A West Conference meet before hosting Bentonville West on Monday.
The men’s team lost just one contest as it defeated Springdale 8-1. The only loss was in the No. 1 match between Van Buren’s Bryan Bell and Tony Kopek.
“The boys did a great job of just jumping out there and taking care of business,” said coach Brandy Mosby. “Tony is a really good player and hasn’t lost many matches this year. Bryan played him really well, and the match was closer than the score.”
Jay Bell dropped his first set in the No. 2 match, but came back to win in three sets.
Allison Lemley and Lauren Cervantes won both of their matches and Betsy Corona came away with the match to give the Lady Pointers the 5-4 edge.
“Both Allison and just played good solid tennis and did what they had to do.” Mosby said. “Betsy had a good win. She need this one.”
The Lady Pointers won two of the three doubles matches.
Lexi Blasingame and Alyssa Seewald teamed up to defeat Elly Gonzalez and Karli Poulson. Blasingame and Sweewald dropped the first match, but came back to win 2-6, 6-4, 10-6. Corona and Callie Ables also won their match after falling behind in the first set.
“This was the first time Lexi and Alyssa have played doubles together, and they did really well. After getting beat pretty good in the first set, they pulled it together on their own and came back to win in the third-set tiebreaker, which isn’t easy to do,” said Mosby. “I told (Corona and Ables) between sets they were much better than what they were playing… and they knew they were. They came out in that second set a new duo and didn’t let up.”
Against Har-Ber, Van Buren won just three matches in the men’s division and two in the women’s. Lemley and Cervantes continued their win string to pick up the only two wins for the Lady Pointers.
Kyle Porter, TJ Saniseng and Justin Deuley each one a match in the men’s division.
The No. 1 and 2 play best of three sets while the rest of the team play an eight-game pro set.
vs. Springdale (Sept. 1)
Van Buren 8, Springdale 1
1. Tony Kopek (SHS) def. Bryan Bell, 6-2, 6-2.
2. Jay Bell (VB) def. Angel Lopez, 4-6, 7-5, 10-6.
3. Kyle Porter (VB) def. Hunter Jamison, 8-0.
4. T.J. Saniseng (VB) def. Austin Espejo, 8-1.
5. Justin Deuley (VB) def. Toujar Bang, 8-1.
6. Len Huang (VB) def. Jay Stewart, 8-3.
7. Abel Diaz (VB) def. Sebastian Frazer, 8-1.
1. Porter/Saniseng (VB) def. Lopez-Espijo, 6-0, 6-0.
2. B.Bell/J.Bell (VB) def. Jamison-Bang, 6-0, 6-2.
3. Huang/Diaz (VB) def. Stewart-Frazier, 8-3.
Van Buren 5, Springdale 4
1. Allison Lemley (VB) def. Brittney Chew, 6-1, 6-0.
2. Lauren Cervantes (VB) def. Destiny Saltero, 6-1, 6-0.
3. Karli Poulson (SHS) def. Callie Ables, 8-5.
4. Elly Gonzalez (SHS) def. Alyssa Seewald, 8-4. L
5. Paige Wright (SHS) def. Lexi Blasingame, 8-5.
6. Betsy Corona (VB) def. Whitney Patterson, 8-6.
7. Brooke Shaffer (SHS) def. Zoe Morrison, 8-6.
8. Alyssa Kroth (VB) def. Neftali Sandoval, 8-2.
1. Blasingame/Seewald (VB) def. Gonzalez-Poulson, 2-6, 6-4, 10-6.
2. Corona/Ables (VB) def. Wright-Patterson, 1-6, 6-4, 10-8.
3. Saltero-Chew (SHS) def. Morrrison/Maldonado, 8-3.
vs. Har-Ber (Sept. 6)
Har-Ber 6, Van Buren 3
1. Mitchell Berry (HB) def. Bryan Bell, 6-3, 6-2.
2. Conor Clardy (HB) def. Jay Bell, 6-0, 6-0.
3. Kyle Porter (VB) def. Zach Lewandwosk, 8-0.
4. TJ Saniseng (VB) def. Solomon Lopez, 8-0.
5. Justin Deuley (VB) def. Jack See, 8-6.
6. Ben Stacey (HB) def. Len Hyuang, 8-3.
1. Berry/Clardy (HB) def. Porter/Saniseng, 6-3, 6-1.
2. Lewandowski/Lopez (HB) def. B.Bell/J.Bell, 6-4, 10-3.
3. Stacey/See (HB) def. Diaz/Ables, 8-5.
Har-Ber 7, Van Buren 2
1. Allison Lemley (VB) def. Lilly Matayo, 6-0, 6-2.
2. Lauren Cervantes (VB) def. Kimlee Nalley, 6-0, 6-2.
3. Anne Scott McClendon (HB) def. Alyssa Seewald, 8-2.
4. Peyton Wilson (HB) def. Lexi Blasingame, 8-3.
5. Elle Verrucchi (HB) def. Callie Ables, 8-5.
6. Maren Martfield (HB) def. Betsy Corona, 8-5.
1. Matayo/Nally (HB) def. Blasingame/Seewald, 4-6, 6-3, 10-6.
2. McClendon/Wilson (HB) def. Ables/Corona, 6-4, 6-2.
3. Verucchi/Martfield (HB) def. Morrison/Cervantes, 8-6.