Mulberry Police Chief Shannon Gregory shot and killed a man who lunged at the officer who was attempting to place him under arrest following a theft complaint.

The fatal shooting occurred about 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at an apartment complex at 100 Reynolds St., according to Crawford County Prosecuting Attorney Marc McCune.

Sheriff Ron Brown said the 56-year-old man, who name has not been released, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Gregory, who was not injured, was placed on administrative duties until an investigation by the sheriff’s office and prosecuting attorney is complete.

McCune said Gregory was upset about the shooting, but appeared to be doing OK.

Gregory had responded to a complaint of a man yelling in the SUNOCO gas station, less than a block away from the apartment complex at the southeast corner of West Sixth Street and Arkansas 917 South.

“He (Gregory) was dispatched to the gas station after police received a phone call about a man yelling at people in the store,” McCune said.

He said the man had gone to the store to get snuff and had left without paying. Gregory was shown the direction the man had gone when he left the gas station, McCune said.

Gregory went to a vacant apartment where he was living, which was near an apartment where his brother and sister-in-law were living, McCune said.

“The suspect had an extension cord running from his brother’s apartment to his apartment for electricity,” he said.

Chief Gregory knocked on the door, which was open, McCune said.

“He went in to make sure no one was in there,” McCune said. “The suspect was in a back bedroom. He lunged at Shannon with a knife. Shannon stumbled backwards with the guy slashing at him and fired his gun at him.”

McCune said Gregory fired three shots. One hit the floor and two fatally wounded the suspect, he said.

The man’s body was sent to the crime lab in Little Rock.

McCune said his office is waiting on results from the sheriff’s department investigation and toxicology reports from the medical examiner, which is expected after Jan. 1. He said it should take “a week or so” for his office to complete its investigation.