Oct. 18, 1940 — Fort Smith and Van Buren high school bands provide music for the Arkansas-Tulsa freshman football game at Grizzly Stadium. Van Buren plays for Tulsa and Fort Smith plays for Arkansas.
Oct. 18, 1957 — The Fort Smith Junior College newspaper, The Collegian, reports that college President Elmer Cook has enacted a new rule prohibiting smoking during class.
Oct. 18, 1962 — The 184th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron becomes the 188th Tactical Reconnaissance Group.
Oct. 19, 2005 — University of Arkansas at Fort Smith Chancellor Joel R. Stubblefield dies at age 67. He had led Westark College and later UAFS since 1983.
Oct. 20, 1826 — Maj. William Bradford, the first commanding officer of Fort Smith, dies of yellow fever. He was a veteran of the War of 1812, an explorer, a Kentucky legislator and one of the first brigadier generals in the Arkansas militia.
Oct. 20, 1927 — Ground is broken for Christ the King Catholic Church at Greenwood Road and South S Street, the building in Spanish style.
Oct. 20, 1939 — Fort Smith Grizzlies beat the Little Rock Tigers 12-0 in their annual game at Grizzly Stadium, with 4,500 spectators attending.
Oct. 20, 1970 — Fort Smith voters approve a dog leash law, 6,156 to 3,792 votes, restricting animals to private property unless leashed.
Oct. 21, 1887 — The city council passes an ordinance against circus parades on city streets and grants the franchise for a streetcar line on Wheeler Avenue.
Oct. 21, 1908 — The first electric car runs in Fort Smith. Car No. 18 is one of six purchased in St. Louis for the trolley system. The five remaining arrive the next day.
Oct. 22, 1882 — Fort Smith experiences a small earthquake with three aftershocks.
Oct. 22, 1916 — A new fraternal organization called the Knights and Ladies of Arkansas is formed in Fort Smith, which will be the national headquarters for the organization.
Oct. 22, 1921 — A ceremony is held as the cornerstone of the new St Edward’s Infirmary is laid. At four stories high, it will accommodate 150 patients and be operated by the Sisters of Mercy of Fort Smith.
Oct. 23, 1916 — Kaw Paving Company begins paving Towson Avenue.
Oct. 23, 1961 — Radio and television personality Arthur Godfrey has a layover at the Fort Smith Airport. He says of the airport, "It’s a lovely terminal and a wonderful building."
Oct. 24, 1902 — Jazz pianist and band leader Alphonso Trent is born in Fort Smith. His father, E.O. Trent, was a longtime principal at Lincoln High School.
Oct. 24, 1999 — Beverly Enterprises moves into its 318,000-square-foot, $40 million headquarters in south Fort Smith.