A Thursday morning fire damaged 10 units of the Colonial Apartments at 321 Jefferson St. in Van Buren.

Only one injury was reported, according to Fire Marshal Stanley Clark of the Van Buren Fire Department.

Clark said one of the tenants in the apartment where the fire started was treated for smoke inhalation at Sparks Medical Center - Van Buren hospital and released.

“Our firefighters did a really good job of getting the fire under control and keeping it from spreading,” Clark said. “The main thing was that no one was seriously injured.”

The fire started in a unit on the second floor, Clark said.

“All tenants were evacuated,” he said. “There was major damage to the building and all 10 units received substantial water and smoke damage, especially to the upstairs units. The roof will need to be replaced.”

Although, the official cause of the fire will be determined by investigators and insurance adjusters, Clark speculated it was possibly a cooking fire.

Clark noted that Red Cross officials were called to help the displaced tenants find temporary housing and with clothing.

The fire was called in at 6:57 a.m. Thursday. Firefighters were on the scene until 9:07 a.m.